The ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool / Membership Provider which is used along with the SQL Server Membership Database, is no longer available in VS 2013 because the Cassini web server is no longer supported. You can either get the Web Site Admin Tool up and running using a command window or set it up in IIS. This post covers both cases (I prefer to use IIS vs. Command Window).
1. Launch the Web Site Admin Tool using a command window:
- Open a Command Window running it as a Admin
- Change the folder to IIS Express cd C:\Program Files\IIS Express\
- Run the following command to start up IIS Express
- iisexpress.exe /path:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles /vpath:"/ASP.NETWebAdminFiles" /port:8082 /clr:4.0 /ntlm
- Access the Admin Site via the following URL:
- http://localhost:8082/asp.netwebadminfiles/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=C:\[YOUR SITE PATH HERE]\&applicationUrl=/
2. Launch the Web Site Admin Tool using IIS: You can try running the site from the Windows folder but after a couple of issues I just moved it to another folder. The steps below cover that process.
- Copy the Admin Site from the following folder: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles
- Change the web.config to allow any user to access the site <allow users="?" />
- Setup the site in IIS. Set the Authentication as shown below. Use the following URL to manage your ASP.NET site.
- http://localhost/ASPNetAdmin/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=C:[YOUR SITE PATH HERE]\&applicationUrl=/